Monday, May 7, 2012

Strawberry-Banana Low Fat Muffins



Continuing my healthy kick is hard when I'm a "choco-baked goods-sweets-o-holic."  I know I'm not alone in this....Anyways, I've started exploring "healthy" baking...I know, I know, healthy and baking don't really meld well.  I'm not claiming that this stuff is actually healthy, but it is WAY healthier than the full-fat, full-butter alternatives.  So what's the trick? Applesauce!

I had always heard that applesauce can be used instead of butter, but I never tried it out until recently.  After much research, I found that most people replace butter or oil with applesauce in the same ratio (1 tablespoon of butter for 1 tablespoon of applesauce).  More recipes to follow this, however EVERYTHING I've made with applesauce tastes almost the same as the full fat version (and the flavor difference is justified by all the Kcals you're not consuming!)

I interpreted this recipe from something I saw on pinterest...

1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 TB *no sugar added* applesauce
2 brown bananas ***see below how to expedite this process!
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup chopped strawberries


Preheat oven to 375 F.  Either line a muffin tin with liners or do as a loaf (I'm partial to serving-sizing it out in muffin tins).  Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, then set aside.  In a large bowl, combine sugar, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla.  Mix until smooth.  Slowly add dry ingredients until incorporated. 

***If your bananas aren't ripe enough yet but you want to bake with them, I can offer you this tip (courtesy of my aunt Ellen!)....ROAST them!  Preheat your oven to 350, place your young banana on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes....skin will turn completely brown, your kitchen will smell delicious, and the banana will be soft, sweet, and ready to bake with!


Add the cooked quinoa and mashed bananas, mix until combined.  Finally, add chopped strawberries. Distribute batter amongst muffin liners.  Top each with a thin slice of strawberry for garnish.  Bake for 25-30  minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. Great tip on the bananas...I've never tried that! And the quinoa...yum!

    ReplyDelete