Tuesday, May 15, 2012

HEALTHY Thanksgiving (in May...)

So I was craving Thanksgiving flavors, and didn't get called to work the other day, so I figured I'd get creative and create a healthy version of Thanksgiving dinner! This meal consisted of orange-glazed turkey breasts, mashed cauliflower, and roasted butternut squash with craisins.  Delicious!

Turkey

The turkey breasts are really easy for this meal. You need:
2 Turkey Breasts
1/2 - 3/4 cups orange juice
3 Tbsp brown sugar

Combine orange juice and brown sugar in a medium bowl.  Place turkey in bowl and marinate for at least an hour (the longer you marinate, the more flavor you'll get).  Sear the sides of the turkey with your grill on high heat (1-2 minutes per side), then turn the heat down and cook thoroughly.


Mashed Cauliflower

I made a HUGE batch of cauliflower for this meal...it just meant more leftovers for me!  I recommend using a food processor for this to get a better texture that is more like mashed potatoes (I was at Heath's, the bachelor pad that lacks cooking appliances, so I just mashed them by hand).
1 head of cauliflower
1 Tbsp of butter (more or less depending on your preference)
1/4 cup fat free cream (more or less depending on your preference)
Salt and pepper



Cut and clean the cauliflower into florets.  Bring a pot of water to a boil, cook the cauliflower until tender.  *Using a food processor* (or by hand if you lack the tools), mash the cauliflower into a fine texture.  Add butter and cream to reach your desired consistency, then add salt and pepper to taste.  Enjoy!







Roasted Butternut Squash with Craisins (thanks, Wegmans!)

This is my favorite side dish served up by Wegmans.  I just started working there part time and it's an internal battle not to get this every time I work.  I changed the recipe slightly, but the original can be found on the Wegmans website. yummy!
1 medium-large butternut squash, cubed
1 medium-large vidalia onion, chopped
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 bag of baby spinach 
Olive Oil 
Salt and Pepper

Peel and cube the butternut squash.  Chop your onions.  Toss with olive oil (I used about 1 Tbsp to keep it on the light side) and salt and pepper.  Place in a roasting pan and roast until tender (about 45 minutes in the oven at 350).  Remove from oven, then toss with craisins and baby spinach.  Serve and enjoy!


These flavors together were delicious and VERY healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment