Thursday, April 12, 2012

Irish Carbomb Cupcakes


There's something to be said about the delicious-ness of booze-cakes.  I think my love of incorporating alcohol into cooking stems from Jello Shots.  I hate Jello, and am not a big person for shots, but somehow the two combined work just fine for me.  Anyways, I figured that for St. Patrick's Day I should make something with Irish flavors AND booze, inspired from one bad-news beverage I can usually only stomach AFTER a heavy night of drinking....Irish Carbomb Cupcakes....

      I tried, and failed, with several different recipes from various websites.  Some turned out really dense, not-so-good cupcakes.  Others gave me really runny frosting, and one had REALLY alcoholic, lumpy frosting (I'm sure if I consumed that frosting I wouldn't care how lumpy or unappealing they were due to the sheer amount of Jameson :))  So, I wound up combining attributes from different cupcake recipes, then incorporating booze into my own buttercream recipe to make for one boozey cupcake.  yummm. 

For The Cupcakes

1 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened.
1 cup strong coffee
1 ½ cup Guinness Extra Stout
2 sticks unsalted butter, cubed
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

       Combine coffee, Guiness, butter, and cocoa powder in a saucepan; heat over medium, whisking continually until butter is dissolved.  Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.

       Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.  Whisk together eggs and vanilla; add to chocolate mixture, whisking until combined well.  Add flour mixture slowly, whisk until just combined (batter will be thin and bubbly).  Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.  Bake 25-30 minutes at 325.  Cool completely before frosting.


For the Frosting

2 sticks of butter, softened and cubed
3 cups powdered sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 Tb Jamison Irish Whiskey
4 Tb Bailey’s Irish Cream

      In a medium bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy.  Slowly add powdered sugar and salt, mixing on low until combined.  Add Jamison’s and mix slightly, then 3-4 Tb of Baileys depending on consistency desired.  Frost and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment